Centro Britânico's Corner

A place for Centro Britânico's students and teachers to meet.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

"A Detective Story..."


March, 16 1984 Friday

Phone rings.
- Hello.
- Hi, may I help you?
- Yes, for sure. Can you please give me the identification number of this unit?
- What do you mean?
- There’s a number behind the modem of the machine, I mean that black box just beside the panel of the computer.
- Oh, ok. But why do you need it?
- I’ve got a problem with a product bought from your company and that’s the number I need to contact the enterprise.
- I’ll be glad to help you. Here it goes: 186.45.167.1.
- Thanks!
- Ok, bye!


March, 19 1984 Wednesday

O.T.V. management’s meeting.
- So, are we having some problems with our communication with other units of our enterprise?
- Yes, it started yesterday night when I noticed a strange behavior of a non-identified user using the global password, I told that was a bad idea.
- Couldn’t you either identify the origin of the access?
- No, who did it is for sure a smart person or just a total idiot.
- What?
- Never mind.
- By the way, I have a strange relate of the night shift supervisor. That’s the why I called Sr. Johnson here. Sir Johnson can you please tell what happened?
- Sure, it happened on my turn yesterday when the phone called on the Univac’s room just when I was passing by it. It was a man of about twenty years. He said that he had had problems with a product from this enterprise.
- Did he specify the product?
- No, Sir.
- Keep going.
- And then the man told me that he needed a number which seemed like a identification one for contacting the enterprise.
- Can you tell me more about this identification?
- Sure, he told me to take a look behind a strange black box… A modem I think he said as the name.
- And did you give to him?
- Yes, Sir.
- Damn it!
- Try to stay calm, Dr. Fruise. Another employee told us something different as strange as that phone call. I think it can be useful.
- What is it, Mr. Asmell?
- He apologized for stealing a floppy disk dropped at the hall, it description is “Per hour payment docs. Confidential”. But he insisted there wasn’t anything on the disk, it had just opened and given an error message.
- That’s really not good. Your company really must give some classes about computer and Internet security. But I already know who was on the system.


Project taken from "All Stars" - Unit 10
André Quintanilha Barbosa
Progress 3
Teacher Fernanda M.

Centro Britânico
Perdizes Branch

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home