Centro Britânico's Corner

A place for Centro Britânico's students and teachers to meet.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

This dialogue was produced by our Fluency student, Cláudia Regina, after studying some slangs from the “Slangs Activity Book”.

They are in italics. Can you guess or remember their meanings?


Joe and Mike are close friends, not those of fair-weather friends, that most people have in bunches.
Joe was always a perky but Mike noticed that he has been devastated lately. Mike decided to discover what happened with him:

_ Hey Joe, please tell me what’s going on?

_ Nothing….Actually I am a jerk! I have been so naive all this time!

_ Come on Joe! Chin up! Tell me!

_ No, not now! I am ashamed!

_ Come on! Make it snappy! Am I your buddy, or not?

_ OK! Here we go! Everything began when I met Christine, John’s friend.

_ Is that so? John, your neighbor?

_ Yes, himself. So, I was totally head over heels in love with her. It was love at first sight, and we began to date. As time went by, I realized that John was a jealous guy and apparently he is hooked on her too! Remember the day of the blackout? Well, it was the day that this clever guy decided to set me up. That night I invited Christine to have a candle’s light dinner with me, at my house. Before Christine arrived, this clever guy went to my house with a girl named Carla. He pretended that she was interested in my work, specifically in my last novel “In the Flesh”. Some minutes later he left, without my noticing, and when he came back, he was with Christine!

_ So?

_ So, at this moment Carla was practically over me! She was part of this setup. Christine believed in what she saw and she raised hell! She didn’t believe that I didn’t have anything to do with Carla, that everything was a catch of her supposed friend.

_ Well my friend, if she didn’t believe in you, she didn’t like you at all!

_ But you didn’t listen to the worst part of the story: she is dating with him!

_ Really! Well pal, face the music and think: better alone than in bad company, OK? You know, let’s have a beer!

_ Hear, hear!


So, next time we want to publish yours!! Hands on!!


Project from
Cláudia Regina
One to One student
Teacher Nilce

Centro Britânico
Pompéia Branch

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home